1. Alternative analgesic therapy is necessary for patients requiring opi-oid analgesics.
2. A chlorhexidine mouth rinse before and during chemotherapy may help to reduce the severity of mucositis.
3. Palliative therapy may be necessary for the treatment of oral side effects.
4. Apply a lubricant to the patient's lips prior to the dental appointment as a comfort measure.
5. Patients who are undergoing active chemotherapy may require WBC count checks. These medications lower WBC counts and this could prove hazardous in patients requiring dental treatment that may produce wounds.
6. Monitor vital signs at every appointment because of cardiovascular side-effects.
9. A semisupine position for the dental chair may be necessary to help minimize or avoid GI effects of
Was this article helpful?