1. Monitor vital signs at every appointment because of cardiovascular side effects.
2. Have the patient sit up slowly and remain seated for at least two minutes after being supine in order to minimize the risk of orthostatic hypotension.
4. Determine the presence of movement disorders such as extrapyramidal symptoms, tardive dyskinesia, or akathesia. They may interfere with the ability of the patient to perform oral health care or they can complicate dental treatment. Consultation with Primary Care Provider
1. Consultation may be required in order to assess extent of disease control and the patient's ability to tolerate stress.
2. If patient demonstrates signs and symptoms of tardive dyskinesia or akathisia refer him back to the appropriate health care provider.
Was this article helpful?