* Provide structural support for nerve cells.
* Contact both capillaries and neurons and form the blood-brain barrier, thereby regulating the chemical composition of the extracellular space.
* Proliferation and repair following injury to nerves. They are responsible for reactive gliosis in response to injury to the CNS.
* Astrocytes produce a large number of growth factors, which act singly or in combination to selectively regulate the morphology, proliferation, differentiation and/or survival of distinct neuronal subpopulations.
* Isolation and grouping of nerve fibres and terminals.
* Participate in metabolic pathways which modulate ions, transmitters, and metabolites involved in the function of neurons and their synapses.
Was this article helpful?