Pancreatic Pseudocysts

Pancreatic pseudocysts are walled-off collections of pancreatic secretions that may form as a result of acute or chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatic pseudocyst is a common complication of chronic pancreatitis occurring in 20% to 40% of cases. Pseudocysts can be treated by endoscopic cystenterostomy or transpapillary drainage, percutaneously with computed tomography guidance or operatively.

Percutaneous and endoscopic drainage is most commonly performed via an indwelling catheter or stent that is left in place for several weeks, since earlier reports have shown a high recurrence rate after simple needle aspiration of pseudocysts.

Endoscopic treatment achieved complete resolution of the pseudocyst in 83%, and the other 17% eventually required surgery. Endoscopic drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts can be both safe and effective, and definitive treatment. It should be considered as an alternative option before standard surgical drainage in selected patients.

0 0

Post a comment