1. Wallden L. Defecation block in cases of deep recto-genital pouch. Acta Chir Scand 1952;103(3):236-238.
2. Broden B, Snellman B. Procidentia of the rectum studied with cineradiography.A contribution to the discussion of causative mechanism. Dis Colon Rectum 1968;11(5):330-347.
3. Mahieu P, Pringot J, Bodart P. Defecography: I. Description of a new procedure and results in normal patients. Gastrointest Radiol 1984;9(3):247-251.
4. Kelvin FM, Maglinte DD, Benson JT. Evacuation procto-graphy (defecography): an aid to the investigation of pelvic floor disorders. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83(2):307-314.
5. Ikenberry S, Lappas JC, Hana MP, Rex DK. Defecogra-phy in healthy subjects: comparison of three contrast media. Radiology 1996;201(1):233-238.
6. Mahieu P, Pringot J, Bodart P. Defecography: II. Contribution to the diagnosis of defecation disorders. Gastrointest Radiol 1984;9(3):253-261.
7. Ferrante SL, Perry RE, Schreiman JS, Cheng SC, Frick MP. The reproducibility of measuring the anorectal angle in defecography. Dis Colon Rectum 1991;34(1): 51-55.
8. Bernier P, Stevenson GW, Shorvon P. Defecography commode. Radiology 1988;166(3):891-892.
9. Altringer WE, Saclarides TJ, Dominguez JM, Brubaker LT, Smith CS. Four-contrast defecography: pelvic "floor-oscopy." Dis Colon Rectum 1995;38(7):695-699.
10. Bremmer S, Ahlback SO, Uden R, Mellgren A. Simultaneous defecography and peritoneography in defecation disorders. Dis Colon Rectum 1995;38(9):969-973.
11. Gullmo A. Herniography. The diagnosis of hernia in the groin and incompetence of the pouch of Douglas and pelvic floor. Acta Radiol Suppl 1980;361:1-76.
12. Rafert JA, Lappas JC, Wilkins W. Defecography: techniques for improved image quality. Radiol Technol 1990;61(5):368-373.
13. Jorge JMN, Ger GC, Gonzalez L, Wexner SD. Patient positioning during cinedefecography: influence on perineal descent and other measurements. Dis Colon Rectum 1994;37:927-931.
14. Varma M, Warshaw A, Congilosi S. Evaluation of complex pelvic floor disorders with peritoneography (Abstract). Dis Colon Rectum 2000;43(5):A14.
15. Yeh CY, Pikarsky A,Wexner SD, et al. Electromyographic findings of paradoxical puborectalis contraction poorly correlate with cinedefecography. Tech Coloproctol 2003;7:77-81.
16. Goei R, Kemerink G. Radiation dose in defecography. Radiology 1990;176(1):137-139.
17. Shorvon PJ, McHugh S, Diamant NE, Somers S, Stevenson GW. Defecography in normal volunteers: results and implications. Gut 1989;30(12):1737-1749.
18. Bremmer S, Mellgren A, Holmstrom B, Lopez A, Uden R. Peritoneocele: visualization with defecography and peritoneography performed simultaneously. Radiology 1997;202(2):373-377.
19. Jorge JMN, Yang YK, Wexner SD. Incidence and clinical significance of sigmoidoceles as determined by a new classification system. Dis Colon Rectum 1994;37:1112-1117.
20. Wiersma TG, Mulder CJ, Reeders JW, Tytgat GN, Van Waes PF. Dynamic rectal examination (defecogra-phy). Baillieres Clin Gastroenterol 1994;8(4):729-741.
21. Hardcastle JD, Parks AG. A study of anal incontinence and some principles of surgical treatment. Proc R Soc Med 1970;63(Suppl):116-118.
23. Ekberg O, Nylander G, Fork FT. Defecography. Radiology 1985;155(1):45-48.
24. Pfeifer J, Oliveira L, Park UC, Gonzalez A, Agachan F, Wexner SD. Are interpretations of defecography reliable and reproducible? Int J Colorectal Dis 1997;12:67-72.
25. Yang X, Partanen K, Farin P, Ji H, Soimakallio S. Repro-ducibility of five anorectal morphologic measurements in defecography. Acad Radiol 1994;1(3):224-228.
26. Rutter KR, Riddell RH, Christiansen J, et al. The solitary ulcer syndrome of the rectum. Clin Gastroenterol 1975;4(3):505-530.
27. Agachan F, Pfeifer J, Wexner SD. Defecography and proctography. Results of 744 patients. Dis Colon Rectum 1996;39:899-905.
28. van Dam JH, Ginai AZ, Gosselink MJ, et al. Role of defecography in predicting clinical outcome of rectocele repair. Dis Colon Rectum 1997;40(2):201-207.
29. Mellgren A, Bremmer S, Johansson C, et al. Defeco-graphy. Results of investigations in 2816 patients. Dis Colon Rectum 1994;37(11):1133-1141.
30. Halligan S, Bartram C, Hall C, Wingate J. Enterocele revealed by simultaneous evacuation proctography and peritoneography: does "defecation block" exist? AJR 1996;167(2):461-466.
31. Olsen AL, Smith VJ, Bergstrom JO, Colling JC, Clark AL. Epidemiology of surgically managed pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89(4):501-506.
32. Kelvin FM, Maglinte DD, Hornback JA, Benson JT. Pelvic prolapse: assessment with evacuation proctogra-phy (defecography). Radiology 1992;184(2):547-551.
33. Berkelmans I, Heresbach D, Leroi AM, et al. Perineal descent at defecography in women with straining at stool: a lack of specificity or predictive value for future anal incontinence? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1995; 7(1):75-79.
34. Miller R, Bartolo DC, Cervero F, Mortensen NJ. Differences in anal sensation in continent and incontinent patients with perineal descent. Int J Colorectal Dis 1989;4(1):45-49.
35. Bartolo DC, Read NW, Jarratt JA, Read MG, Donnelly TC, Johnson AG. Differences in anal sphincter function and clinical presentation in patients with pelvic floor descent. Gastroenterology 1983;85(1):68-75.
36. Bartolo DC, Jarratt JA, Read MG, Donnelly TC, Read NW. The role of partial denervation of the puborectalis in idiopathic faecal incontinence. Br J Surg 1983; 70(11):664-667.
37. Lowry AC, Simmang CL, Boulos P, et al. Consensus statement of definitions for anorectal physiology and rectal cancer: report of the Tripartite Consensus Conference on Definitions for Anorectal Physiology and Rectal Cancer, Washington, D.C., May 1,1999. Dis Colon Rectum 2001;44(7):915-919.
38. Skomorowska E, Henrichsen S, Christiansen J, Hegedus V. Videodefaecography combined with measurement of the anorectal angle and of perineal descent. Acta Radiol 1987;28(5):559-562.
40. Jorge JMN, Wexner SD, Ger GC, Salanga V, Nogueras JJ, Jagelman DG. Cinedefecography and electromyography in the diagnosis of non relaxting puborectalis syndrome. Dis Colon Rectum 1993;36:668-676.
41. Kuijpers HC, Schreve RH, ten Cate Hoedemakers H. Diagnosis of functional disorders of defecation causing the solitary rectal ulcer syndrome. Dis Colon Rectum 1986;29(2):126-129.
42. Christiansen J, Zhu BW, Rasmussen OO, Sorensen M, Goei R, Baeten C. Rectal intussusception and rectal prolapse: detection and postoperative evaluation with defecography. Dis Colon Rectum 1992;35(11):1026-1028; discussion 1028-1029.
43. Piloni V, Fioravanti P, Spazzafumo L, Rossi B. Measurement of the anorectal angle by defecography for the diagnosis of fecal incontinence. Int J Colorectal Dis 1999;14(2):131-135.
44. Kruyt RH, Delemarre JB, Gooszen HG, Hermans J. Defecography and anorectal manometry. Eur J Radiol 1992;15(2):166-170.
45. Goei R. Anorectal function in patients with defecation disorders and asymptomatic subjects: evaluation with defecography. Radiology 1990;174(1):121-123.
46. Rex DK, Lappas JC. Combined anorectal manometry and defecography in 50 consecutive adults with fecal incontinence. Dis Colon Rectum 1992;35(11):1040-1045.
47. Bielefeldt K, Enck P, Zamboglou N, Moedder U, Erckenbrecht JF. Anorectal manometry and defecogra-phy in the diagnosis of fecal incontinence. J Clin Gas-troenterol 1991;13(6):661-665.
48. Chen HH, Iroatulam A, Alabaz O, Weiss EG, Nogueras JJ, Wexner SD. Associations of defecography and physiologic findings in male patients with rectocele. Tech Coloproctol 2001;5(3):157-161.
49. Silvis R, Delemarre JB, Gooszen HG. Surgical treatment and role of dynamic defecography after ileal pouchanal anastomosis: technical solutions to a difficult problem. Dis Colon Rectum 1997;40(1):84-88.
50. Fotter R. Imaging of constipation in infants and children. Eur Radiol 1998;8(2):248-258.
51. Wiesel PH, Norton C, Glickman S, Kamm MA. Patho-physiology and management of bowel dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001; 13(4):441-448.
52. Gill KP, Chia YW, Henry MM, Shorvon PJ. Defecography in multiple sclerosis patients with severe constipation. Radiology 1994;191(2):553-556.
53. Wiesel PH, Norton C, Roy AJ, Storrie JB, Bowers J, Kamm MA. Gut focused behavioural treatment (biofeedback) for constipation and faecal incontinence in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2000;69(2):240-243.
Was this article helpful?
Did you ever think feeling angry and irritable could be a symptom of constipation? A horrible fullness and pressing sharp pains against the bladders can’t help but affect your mood. Sometimes you just want everyone to leave you alone and sleep to escape the pain. It is virtually impossible to be constipated and keep a sunny disposition. Follow the steps in this guide to alleviate constipation and lead a happier healthy life.