It is easier to prevent back injury than it is to treat it. If you injured your back in the past, you must be especially careful to avoid reinjury. You can protect your back by doing the following:
• Exercise regularly.
• Stretch (especially before exercising).
• Strengthen your abdominal muscles (to support your back).
• Maintain a healthy weight.
• Maintain correct posture (don't slouch).
• Use straight-backed chairs and a firm mattress that support your back.
• Lift objects by bending at your knees rather than at your waist.
• Do not lift heavy objects.
• Avoid standing or sitting in one position for long periods.
• Support one leg on a small stool when standing, to flatten and relax your lower back.
• Sleep on your back with a pillow supporting your bent knees.
Was this article helpful?