1. Age (incidence begins to increase after age 40; peak incidence between 60-75 years)
2. Family history (especially with familial polyposis or Gardner, Turcot, or Lynch syndrome)
4. Low-fiber, high-fat diet (weak evidence)
1. Patients may present with asymptomatic blood in stool (visible streaks of blood on stool or guaiac-positive), anemia with right-sided colon cancer, change in stool caliber ("pencil stool") or frequency (alternating constipation and frequency) with left-sided colon cancer. As with any cancer, look for weight loss.
2. Occult blood in the stool of a patient > 40 years old should be considered colon cancer until proved otherwise. To rule out colon cancer, either do flexible sigmoidoscopy and a barium enema or do a iota), colonoscopy If you see any lesions with a flexible sigmoidoscope or barium enema, you need to do a total colonoscopy with removal and histologic examination of all polyps/lesions. For this reason, most people now start with colonoscopy.
3. Carcinoerabryonic antigen (CIA) is often, elevated with colon cancer, and a preoperative level is usually measured. After surgery to remove the tumor, CEA should return to normal levels. Periodic, monitoring of CEA postoperatively helps to detect recurrence before it is clinically apparent. CEA is not: used as a screening tool for colon cancer; it is used only to follow known cancer,
4. Treatment is primarily surgical, with resection of involved bowel. Adjuvant chemotherapy is sometimes done with. .S fluorouracil (5-FU) and levamisole or leucovorin.
5. Colon cancer frequently metastasizes to the li ver; if the metastasis is solitary, surgical resection is often attempted/With metastases elsewhere, chemotherapy is the only option. Prognosis is poor.
6. Colon cancer is a common cause of a large bowel obstruction in an adult.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.